New Mexico Attorney General Hector Balderas publicly requested the federal government appoint a New Mexico attorney (or possibly a retired judge) to oversee the claims process regarding the Hermit’s Peak/Calf Canyon Fire Assistance Act.
The federal law, made in response to historic wildfires that destroyed more than 300,000 acres of national forest, wilderness and private lands, made $3.95 billion available to individuals and businesses that suffered loss as a result of the fires/floods.
The billions of dollars set aside by the government is intended to help people rebuild their lives, but the claims process is complicated and many see pitfalls.
“If any individual is appointed to handle this claims process, he or she must understand New Mexico law,” said Singleton Schreiber Managing Partner Gerald Singleton. “This is an historic bill and an historic opportunity, and with the right team handling the program it will change the lives of thousands of New Mexicans.”
In addition to requesting a master of claims, AG Balderas asked FEMA to remove the current limit on claims involving trees and land.
As this is an ongoing, political process, attorneys at Singleton Schreiber are available to the general public to answer any questions and assist with any type of claim related to the Hermit’s Peak/Calf Canyon Fire and Floods.
“Our New Mexico legal team has been a part of the local communities for decades,” Mr. Singleton added. “Our fire litigation attorneys in Ruidoso, Mora, Las Vegas and Los Lunas are available 24/7 to help people regain their lives and livelihood.”
- Maui Fires: Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- WHITE PAPER: PFAS Contamination and Liability: Key Facts for Airports, Airlines, and Aviation Facilities
- 110+ Lives Lost in Devastating Maui Wildfire Amidst Hurricane Dora's Aftermath
- When Should I File a Lawsuit After an Accident Injury?
- Gavilan Fire in Riverside County Triggers Evacuation
- 5 Things Insurance Companies Don't Want You to Know After an Accident
- Marshall Fire: Colorado’s Most Destructive Fire was Composed of 2 Fires
- What Motorcycle Accident Victims Need to Know About Lawsuits
- 5 Things to Do After Being Injured in an Accident
- Martinez Toxic Dust Leak Poisons A Community